VPNs are fantastic, aren’t they? They provide privacy when browsing the web and ensure that our details are safe and hidden if we make purchases or access sensitive and personal information when logged onto a public Wi-Fi.
But as handy as they are, there comes a time where you don’t want a VPN on your iPhone or iPad anymore. You can turn it off, sure, but you want it deleted. Whether the app is taking up too much space or your free trial has ended, you want it deleted. But try as you might, you can’t get it gone!
You start to panic, wondering if you are doomed to be with this VPN for the rest of your life! Well, panic no more! We are here today to help you get a VPN off your iPhone or iPad. We have easy-to-follow methods below to get your VPN gone permanently! Just keep reading to find out how!
How do I get VPN off my iPhone?
When removing a VPN from your iPhone, you have two options: delete the VPN profile, remove it from your device via the settings app, or delete the VPN app from your phone. Let’s look at both options to help you remove VPN from your iPhone!
Removing VPN - Deleting the Profile
Getting a VPN off your iPhone isn’t too difficult and can be done in a few easy steps! Let’s get straight into it and get the VPN off your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app.
- You should see VPN under the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth options (depending on your version of the software). Toggle it OFF.
This turns the VPN off on your phone. No longer will your IP address be hidden when you are surfing the web or connected to public Wi-Fi. You can perform this task on your VPN app, too, if you wish to follow their steps to do this (it can vary depending on the app). The VPN will now not work until you toggle it back on.
But for some of us, we want to delete the VPN entirely. To do this, you will need to do the above two steps and then the steps below to remove the VPN from your iPhone.
- After toggling off the VPN, click on General and then VPN.
- Locate the VPN you want to remove (if you have more than one) and tap the ‘I’ button.
- It will open a new page; at the bottom, you will see a delete VPN button.
- Press the button and confirm that you want to delete the VPN.
- It will now be deleted from your iPhone. You won’t be able to use it on your iPhone unless you reinstall it.
While this method is quick and easy, what if we told you there is another way, that’s possibly quicker? Let’s look at the second way to get rid of a VPN that we mentioned earlier.
Removing VPN - Deleting the App
For those after a quick solution, you can uninstall the VPN app on your phone. These days, most VPNs come with an app that provides users with quick and easy access to their services and tends to be compatible with iOS devices.
If your VPN comes with an app, you can delete the app to get rid of the VPN! Not sure how to delete apps on your iPhone? You can follow our steps below to uninstall your VPN app from your iPhone.
- Find the VPN app on your home screen.
- Tap and hold on to the app icon. You will see a small x in the top left corner of the icon. It will also appear on all other apps you have installed.
- Click on the small x sign.
- A few options will come up, click Remove (the app’s name will follow it).
- You can then choose to remove it from the home screen or to delete the app. click on delete.
- Another box will pop up for you to confirm deleting the VPN app. Deleting the app will also remove all its data, getting the VPN off your phone.
- Click delete again.
And just like that, the app is now removed from your phone! The VPN app and its configuration files will be removed. If you have any other VPN apps on your phone, you can use this method to delete those apps and their data too.
You can use this method for third-party VPN client apps too. It's often the preferred method for deleting VPNs that come with apps and saves you from entering your settings.
Can I just turn my VPN off?
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of uninstalling apps or deleting VPN profiles, you can simply switch the VPN off on your phone. You can do this via the app or your settings, as we mentioned earlier.
Turning your VPN off disables it and leaves your internet traffic unencrypted. If you just want to disable the VPN briefly, turning it off is a better option. However, deleting it will provide a more permanent solution. After it's deleted, you will need to set up a VPN again if you change your mind.
Consider if you want to permanently delete the VPN or just turn it off temporarily before uninstalling your apps or removing your VPN profiles!!
What about my iPad?
For those with VPNs on iPads, you will be pleased to know that you can use the same steps we have outlined for iPhones! As they feature a virtually identical setup (depending on if you update your software regularly), you can follow either one of the methods listed above to delete VPNs from your iPad.
The process is quick and easy; you can either uninstall the VPN app or delete the VPN profile; the choice is yours.
Remember that depending on the software on your devices, some extra steps might be necessary. Ensure that both your iPad and iPhone are running on the latest iOS update to ensure your devices run smoothly and you can follow our guidance!
And just like that, we have come to the end of our VPN journey today! As you can see, removing a VPN from your iPhone or iPad is a simple task and one that can be done in a few easy steps! Whether you are looking to uninstall the app or remove the profile, you can be sure that the VPN will be gone from your device!
- Does a VPN Protect You on Public Wi-Fi? - July 21, 2021
- What Is VPN Tunneling (And How Does It Work)? - July 21, 2021
- What Is VPN Passthrough? (Explained) - July 21, 2021